Monday, March 1, 2010

Junk-mail evangelism - no postage necessary?

Hello all,

Here's a simply evangelism idea I started doing this week. Every time you get one of those annoying junk mail, or credit card offers, just save the envelopes (you know the kind that are no postage necessary).

This week instead of ripping them up, I simply put a gospel tract or two inside, seal it up, (no postage required), and drop it in the mail when I swing by next time.

It's an interesting thought that a company has paid for the United States Postal service to hand deliver a gospel message right into the hands of one of their employees.

It's not near as bold as an open air, or sharing with your friend, family, co-worker, school mate, or stranger you meet during your day (WHICH YOU MUST DO), but it takes just a much time to throw the envelope away, and you never know what God can do with a simple gospel tract opened by the right person, at just the right time.

If companies will spend tons of money to sell you something you don't even need (or want), certainly we can pass on the amazing offer of eternal life through Jesus Christ to someone who is dying to hear it.

Just another way I want to encourage you to share the gospel with everyone you know before Easter! Take the challenge and drop me a line as to how you are doing.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

2 comments:

  1. Do you perhaps think that this is dishonest? Companies provide these envelopes for potential clients to make purchases, not for you to use for your own purposes. Your actions cost the company money, and companies losing money lay off staff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jack, interesting comment, I had honestly never considered the possibility that my returned envelope would effect a companies bottom line. I would imagine that companies would budget for worst case scenarios (like every envelope being returned), but never truly expecting it to happen. I will consider your comment and perhaps what I will do is return the envelope with a "please remove us from your mailing list" comment each time along with my tracts, that way the company can either remove me, or I don't have to feel guilty.

    Ultimately the best evangelism is done one on one with everyone we meet, tracts handed out in person would be secondary so there is an opportunity for discussion, and random tracts are last.

    On a side note, if you know Jesus as your Lord and Savior, feel free to shoot me some ideas on how you do evangelism, I love hearing how others spread the word about our Savior.

    If you aren't sure where you'd spend eternity please drop me a comment on the blog or email mark.thielenhaus@usw.salvatoinarmy.org and I'd love to talk with you more.

    There's no greater issue than where we will all spend eternity, thanks for joining the discussion.

    God Bless,
    Captain Mark T.

    ReplyDelete