Saturday, December 18, 2010

Better Together #6

Our Alaska Division theme for this program year is "Better Together" focussing on unity, supporting one another, and operating the body of the church God desires. Here are some devotional thoughts for your own consideration or use as a call to worship in your Corps this Holy season. Just my thoughts from my scripture meditation. Please use, change, alter as you see fit and meditate on the Word today.

For
December 19

Today is the 4th Sunday in Advent and we are quickly approaching the day we celebrate as Christmas. On Christmas we remember the fact that God sent His Son Jesus to the people He created in order that we might have a way to be re-united with Him.

It wasn’t until the cross that Jesus says, “it is finished” and we see His purpose for coming to earth in the flesh being fulfilled.

We hear Jesus himself express the reason for His coming to earth the night He prayed in the garden for each of us.

In John 17:20-26 we hear Jesus praying this way… 20 “My prayer is not for them (the disciples) alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message (that’s each of us as believers today), 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

This Christmas we celebrate the truth that God Himself wanted to have a relationship with us, and we understand today that we can only realize all that God wants us to experience in an earthly sense, while in community together. Jesus prayed that all of us may be one in the same way that Jesus and His Father were always united. Jesus prayed that all of us might be brought to complete unity. The ultimate purpose for His prayer was of course that while in complete unity the world will know that God sent Jesus to redeem and reunite with His children because He loves us.
---
Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment