Friday, September 11, 2009

Captain's meditation on John 6:25-40

This wasn't in my daily rations (my daily scripture reading) but I was led hear while studying other things... so today for the blog - just a quick look at this scripture and my notes to meditate on while I go about my day today...

John 6... After feeding the 5,000 and walking an the water, the crowd shows us for another meal and what Jesus can do for them we read... 25 When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?" 26 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. (What are you working for and working on today - what is "eating up" your time. Are you focused on things that will spoil or will have eternal consequences, like saving souls and striving for holiness, and things that will glorify God). On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval." 28 Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" 29 Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." (It's not "works" that gets you saved, the work is believing is believing on Jesus alone for our salvation - so I remember it's not really "my faith" that saves me - it is Jesus that saves me - but I claim it and seek Him and call on Him and give my life to Him by faith) 30 So they asked him, "What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do? (don't seek God for what He can do for me today, but for who He is - the bread of heaven) 31 Our forefathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'" 32 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. (don't look to men or things by which the blessing comes, but look to God alone who is the giver of every good and perfect gift, everything is from His hand.) 33 For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." 34 "Sir," they said, "from now on give us this bread." 35 Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. (Am I relying only on Jesus to satisfy me) 36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. (If I have a need today, God has placed everything I need in Jesus, but my requirement is that I must come to Him) 38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. (My example is to put the will of God above all things) 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." (For those who put their trust in Jesus for their salvation - we have assurance of heaven - I know today that the fate of everyone else, is eternal damnation forever separated from the presence of God in hell. How can I be so selfish and uncaring as to not proclaim to the world that the most expensive gift in the world - salvation purchased by the perfect blood of God's only son for our salvation - is now offered to us freely if we will just accept it by faith, repent of our sins, and now live under His perfect guidance out of gratitude for what He has done for us).

God thank you for your Holy Word today...

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment