Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The power of positive thinking and affirmations?

I was recently sent a comment (I didn't post it) from someone who found this site by "googling - meditation", of course my posts were meditation on scripture, but this was not. The web site I was directed to was all about "the power of positive thinking and positive affirmations". In short your mindset will determine how you think, it will create a "positive vibe around you" it will bring what you regularly think about to happen.

Here is a quote from that letter, "Track your thoughts and take an active role in what you think... When you come across a negative thought, change it and replace it with a thought that allows you to achieve what you want or makes your life more pleasant. Visualize your success, see yourself living the life you want. ... you are in charge of your life ..."

Why do I mention this at all - Captain Michelle will continue our study in Philippians 4:7-8 this week and talk about our thought life, only it's not just "the power of positive thinking" that allows You to change Your life and get what You want, instead, taking the whole of scripture and the context of Philippians, Paul would say he counts every thought (aside from knowing Jesus) as rubbish, and would give up all things that he might know Christ, and in Him find contentment no matter what his circumstances.

Here are some affirmations and Scriptures I am positive about...
I am positive I have no good thing in me that earns me salvation.
I am positive my righteousness is like filthy rags (let alone the "vileness" of my sin).
I am positive apart from God I can do nothing.
I am positive it is by grace I am saved through faith in Jesus Christ.
I am positive with God all things are possible.
I am positive nothing is impossible with God.
I am positive if God is for me who can be against me.
I am positive all people die someday, and the only way to the Father is through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
I am positive there is a place called hell and a place called heaven.
I am positive that the Lord Jesus Christ, has by his suffering and death, made atonement for the whole world, so that whosoever will repent of their sin and live for Him, will be saved.
I am positive God has commanded us to live holy and spread His gospel to the world.
I am positive that God wants no one to perish but all to come to everlasting life.

I am positive - I could go on all day long claiming the promises and affirmations in God's Word, SO what is my point... simply this, I agree we should take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ. We must positively proclaim Jesus is Lord and His Word only constitutes the divine rule of Christian faith and practice. SO... Read your Word, claim it's truths, hide it in your heart, and don't just think about it.... DO WHAT IT SAYS!

I'm positive your life will be better than trying to convince yourself you can control your own life just by thinking positive thoughts.

Philippians 4:4-9 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment