Friday, June 5, 2009

Captain's meditation on 1 Thes. 2:2-5

1 Thessalonians 2:2-5 Paul writes... We had previously suffered and been insulted in Philippi, as you know, but with the help of our God we dared to tell you his gospel in spite of strong opposition. For the appeal we make does not spring from error or impure motives, nor are we trying to trick you. On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts. You know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed—God is our witness.

What should be our motivation to share the gospel even in the midst of strong opposition. You are speaking as a person approved of God and entrusted with His gospel, and He will test your heart.

Someone has said, "we fear man so much because we fear God so little".

A few months back I was talking with a man and turned the conversation to spiritual things. The man simply and plainly stated what he believed about "many ways to heaven" and "all the gods are really the same thing" and "it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe". Since time was short I simply replied plainly in return that I believed what the bible stated, that "Jesus is the only way to heaven to escape hell". Immediately he said (offended), "well I don't think it's our job to shove our religion on anybody else". My response was, "I completely agree - I don't ever want to shove my religion on anybody, but you'd have to admit" I said, "if I believed I knew the only way to escape hell and find heaven, and that I was supposed to love others, and it didn't cost me anything to share it with others, and I didn't do it, you'd think I was the biggest hypocrite in the world". To which he nodded in agreement and admitted, "you're probably right".

Have you noticed that when the topic of spiritual things comes up the world will state plainly, boldly, and to the point, without apology what they believe. Why is it that so many Christians don't state plainly, to the point, and without apology the TRUTH of our Lord's Gospel?

Paul said, "with the help of our God we dared to tell you his gospel in spite of strong opposition. For the appeal we make does not spring from error or impure motives, nor are we trying to trick you. On the contrary, we speak as men approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts.

Of course we don't try to be offense, but it is your God given mandate to preach the gospel to all creation. Don't be afraid someone might be "offended", be more afraid they would spend eternity in hell when you could have told them the truth, and with righteous fear be more concerned that God will test our hearts, and we must not be trying to please men, but God.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment