Saturday, November 13, 2010

Better Together #1

Our Alaska Division theme for this program year is "Better Together" focussing on unity, supporting one another, and operating the body of the church God desires. Here are some devotional thoughts for your own consideration or use as a call to worship in your Corps this Holy season. Just my thoughts from my scripture meditation. Please use, change, alter as you see fit and meditate on the Word today.

For November 14, 2010

Slowly read and consider the 34th Psalm. After reading through Psalm 34 read verses 1-3 again.

Psalm 34:1-3 1 I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. 2 I will glory in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. 3 Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together.

This psalm was written as David had been fleeing for his life in the desert. At one point with seemingly nowhere else to turn he went to Gath (the hometown of Goliath who he had once killed). Once recognized, David was brought before the king and, in fear, David’s plan (God inspired, or completely self-conceived we do not know) was to fake insanity with drool dripping down his beard. The kings reply was to send him away.

Sometime after David writes a psalm of praise and thanksgiving to His Lord. In this Psalm David lists statements of the blessings available to the people of God and pours forth the truths about the nature of his Deliverer.

As we consider our theme of being “Better Together”, look at David’s psalm one more time. David begins with a personal declaration that “I will extol the Lord at all times and his praise will always be on my lips. I will glory in the Lord”. He then goes beyond his need to declare God’s praise to the people, but then invites the people to join with him in exalting God’s Name together.

John Wesley wrote the words to our songbook song # 64 where he expressed this wish, “Oh for a thousand tongues to sing My great Redeemer’s praise, The glories of my God and King, The triumphs of His grace! My gracious Master and my God, Assist me to proclaim, To spread through all the earth abroad The honors of Thy name.

John Wesley, King David, and we as a body together today can all agree that although it is right for us to each individually glorify the Lord, our God deserves more than we could ever give alone.

As we approach this time of Thanksgiving, let’s make sure to take time to glorify His Name personally and privately, but let’s also make sure to join with others for corporate worship and praise, and then as the psalm of David states, let’s invite others to do the same that we might worship Him “better together.”

Psalm 34:1-3 1 I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips. 2 I will glory in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice. 3 Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together.

---
Live holy, preach Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment