Friday, November 5, 2010

Sharing Christ on airplanes - by Larry Moyer

 Just reposting this article from Evangelism.net - http://www.evangelism.net/

Hopefully I will post one of my ariplane witnessing events in the next day or two?

Enjoy, be challenged, and love someone enough to share the gospel with them today!

Live holy, preach Jesus!
-----------
What I’ve learned from Sharing Christ on Airplanes
Posted By Larry Moyer On November 1, 2010 @ 6:00 am
[1]Airplanes are great opportunities to witness. I’m convinced though that one reason they are good opportunities is people tend to have a fear of flying and they know if something goes wrong they’re not in control. The nervousness they have, many times, opens them up to spiritual things.

There are times I’ve stepped on over eighty different planes in the course of a year. I’ve learned several things in the past 37 years by experience that may help.

First, as with any opportunity you have, pray that God will open the door to people to whom He’d like you to speak.  Two, assume that if the person is open to you as an individual, there’s an open door for the Gospel.  I take a step at a time and go as far as I can. I start by talking about family, job, background, and then somehow turn the subject to spiritual things such as religion, church, etc. I then attempt to get to my question – “Has anyone ever taken the Bible and shown you how you can know for sure you’re going to heaven”? Three, if they’re not open to talking I assume that’s simply not an open door at the moment, and apparently God wants to use someone else to talk to them.

However, there are times, particularly on long flights (which are better opportunities than short flights), when they aren’t open one moment, they are open an hour later. One person, for example, made it obvious he wanted to sleep and not talk. Towards the end of the flight though, he woke up and said, “Please don’t think I didn’t want to talk. I was at my buddy’s wedding and we were up all night the night before he married, and I’m wiped out”. We then had a great discussion and one that allowed me to present the Gospel and even give a tract to him.

Interesting enough, I’ve found some of my best opportunities is when they’re in the window seat, I’m in the aisle seat, and there’s an empty seat between us. That way I think they feel they can talk without being overheard and some would rather discuss spiritual things in that kind of privacy.
Finally, don’t forget that as with any situation you have to pray for boldness. You want to be certain that if you don’t speak to them about spiritual things it’s because they just were not open, not because you were afraid to.

As encouragement, one of my most priceless conversations was when I had a chance to lead a contractor to Christ and two weeks later received a note from his girlfriend. She expressed her gratitude and how much they were looking forward to a God-centered marriage. God does great things everywhere, even at 30,000 feet above sea level.

Article printed from Evangelism.net: http://www.evangelism.net
URL to article: http://www.evangelism.net/what-ive-learned-from-sharing-christ-on-airplanes.htm
URLs in this post:
[1] Image: http://www.evangelism.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/sky_from_plane_sm.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment