Thursday, November 18, 2010

Witnessing to Mike

I have hoped that this blog would be a good way for me to both encourage others about their being bold and verbal in their sharing of the gospel, but also that it would be a way for me to journal my own witnessing to others.

I thought I'd share this as a possible conversation starter. On an airplane this past Tuesday I sat next to a man named Mike, we spoke about where we were going to and coming from. When I mentioned I was going to Anchorage he said he had been to Anchorage for a "convention". I asked what group the convention was with and he responded that it was with the Jehovah's Witness and then moved to another topic.

After a few minutes of small talk I used this as my conversation starter. I asked, "Mike, I've never really personally known a Jehovah's Witness, would you mind if I asked about your beliefs and how you believe one comes to salvation?" (of course I've had them at my door before, but I've never known one on a more personal level)

Needless to say we had a very intelligent conversation and we took turns asking each other, what do you believe about he person of Jesus, the Holy Spirit, salvation, and even the end times. Mike was the most well spoken JW I've ever spoken with (perhaps because he was a little older than many I've spoken with or because it wasn't done at my doorstep). Although we certainly disagreed an major points of our doctrines, at least he heard me declare the Truth about Jesus and the means to salvation.

Only God knows the seeds that were planted and I know that God is pleased that I cared enough to open my mouth to start a conversation with someone about their salvation.

If you read this, please just pray for "Mike" and others who are sincere in their faith, but are believing a lie.

The last blog I posted was about "apologetics" (make sure to see it below), if nothing else I was glad I was able to have an intelligent conversation, but as always I was left knowing that I always need to be learning, reading the Word, and in touch with God's Holy Spirit so that when a deeper conversation arises I am not ashamed and correctly handle the Word of Truth.

Be bold enough to start a conversation with a stranger this week.

I'd love to hear some of your stories of witnessing experiences or how you get the conversations started. Please leave a comment - I post them right after I preview them first.

Life holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment