Thursday, May 5, 2011

Preaching to more than the just the Songsters (Choir)

I had the honor of speaking to a meeting of the Kiwanis group of Alaska recently and was charged with giving the inspirational message (a sermon if you will).

I know that not all service clubs shy away from the Name of Jesus, but I know that many indeed do. I also know that some of the friends of the Army in the Kiwanis group are not of the same faith that we are.

As I prepared my message I thought how different is is to give a "sermon" not to "church folk".

I was reminded again that I haven't done an open air or preached to those not in (or of) the church in quite some time, but as Salvationists and as followers of Jesus that must be our goal, not just to preach to the songsters in the corps each week but to a dying world that either is against Jesus, or ignorant of Him.

Catherine Booth said, "A barracks (the corps) is meant to be a place where real soldiers were fed and equipped for war, not a place to settle down in or a comfortable snuggery in which to enjoy ourselves. I hope that if ever, they, our soldiers do settle down God will burn their barracks over their heads!

Our goal in the church is to equip for war and the preaching of the gospel to those outside of our buildings.

As I prepared in the morning to leave to speak I felt the need to "pray on the Armor of God" and began going through Ephesians 6 even as I was getting dressed. Before leaving the house I looked up Ephesians 6:10-20 again and realized that it's not just the spiritual armor for the warfare I needed, but the reminder of the need to fight and declare the truth of God with boldness.

Here it is... Ephesians 6:10-20 Finally be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

Lord may every time we have the opportunity to speak your Name and share your Gospel, may we declare it fearlessly as we should.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment