Friday, October 23, 2009

Generalisations - from "officer magazine"

This quote from General Paul A. Rader....

"Is my approach to holiness total enough? Is our holiness too therapeutic in its emphasis? There are dangers of beginning with our human problems instead of God's purpose. Is my approach to holiness sometimes too cosmetic? Holiness deals with the essential inner orientation of the personality. The self dies hard. The cross is painful and total. I must confess that I have sometimes had cause to wonder if the holiness I profess and proclaim has made me tender enough. The truth is that we live in an age that is seductively desensitising us to evil. What once might have appalled and embarrassed us, perhaps even angered us, now only makes us sad. What does it take to make us cry out in indignation? What miscarriages of justice, what indifference to standards of integrity, what crass immorality would move us to tears and stir us to action? How much do I care about purity, justice, and integrity? Finally, is my holiness telling enough? Our age cries out for men and women of God whose lives stand in stark contrast to the darkness that surrounds us.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment