Thursday, July 23, 2009

Captain's meditation on Jeremiah 1:4-10

This scripture passage is the call of God to Jeremiah to be His prophet.

Jeremiah 1:4-10 says... 4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying, 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." 6 "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." 7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD. 9 Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant."

Just a couple of thoughts... (not original to me, but profound to me)....

The first is proclaim God's Word - the gospel - that salvation is only through trust in Jesus alone who lived, died for our sins, and rose from the dead. Do not be afraid of anyone or anything because He will deliver if necessary - but most of the time it just costs us discomfort and not our lives - so share the message of Jesus.

Listen to Catherine Booths comment on this passage... "I am tired of hearing the words 'I can't'. Jeremiah said, 'I am a child'; but the Lord didn't pat him on the back and say, Jeremiah, that is very good, I like that in you; your humility is beautiful.' Oh no! God didn't want any such mock humility. He reproved and rebuked it. I do not like the humility that is too humble to do as it is bid. When my children are too humble to do as they are bid, I pretty soon find a way to make them. I say, 'Go and do it!' The Lord wants us to 'go and do it'." - Catherine Booth

The second thought is that God will put His Word into our mouths - so when we speak God's Word (although it is with our voice and "sounds" like us - it is actually Him). God has given us His Word, His gospel, and our voices for the furtherment of His Kingdom - get out there and share with the world.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment