Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Witnessing to "Pirate Bob"

Hello soldiers and fellow followers of Jesus,

I just wanted to ask if you've witnessed to your "Pirate Bob" yet.

In our little town of Homer (about 5,000 people) it seems everybody know, or knows of, everybody else. This past week both Captain Michelle and I had separate encounters with who we called "Pirate Bob" (did I mention he wears an eye patch). We see him around every year, always hitch hiking or needing an "annual" clothing voucher - he is homeless and seems to disappear for the winter. Although we have helped him through the thrift store neither of us have every had personal contact with him.

This past week I finally stopped to talk with him because he recognised the uniform and asked me for help while I was out about town (NOTE TO SOLIDER & OFFICERS - wear your uniforms PLEASE they are great witnessing tools - I'll save a rant for another blog). After kneeling down to his level (sitting by some bushes at the job center in town) I took the time to ask what he needed and listen to his story for a little while. After promising to come back I went and got what I thought would at least help his immediate need a little. I had intended to dive into a spiritual conversation one way or another on my return. When I got back he was reading a small new testament (which he told me he got for free at our thrift store). To help decide where he was with the Lord I asked, "who is Jesus to you". Without going into the whole story he did have some understanding of Christ and the gospel and had made a commitment on some level to Him. In the end I know I have opened a door to future talks and at least know he's has a bible and knows the gospel message. Before I left I prayed over my brother, and mentioned the way of salvation again in prayer.

Now for you... If you are like me there are a lot more folks in town, many I see every day (could I shamefully even admit that some I interact with everyday) who haven't had me start a spiritual conversation with - convicted I'd have to say - yes there are.

So let's do something about it!
  1. If you are a solider get your uniform on and people will come to you if you are available.
  2. If you are a follower of Jesus (uniform wearing or not) get bold, don't be ashamed, what can man do to us, share your faith.
  3. Remember it is God who makes things grow - so technically you can't mess up what He wants to do correct??? So just go plant some seeds - share your story - start a conversation - dive in and let the Holy Spirit direct the encounter.

Have you witnessed to your "pirate Bob" yet? Eternity is a stake. Share the gospel with someone you care about (friend or stranger) today.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment