Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Captain's meditation on Revelation 3:14-22

I have preached on, and heard many sermons and studies on the Laodicean church, but a comment in a sermon called "lukewarm no more" by Mark Cahill really touched me yesterday.

Go ahead and look up Revelation 3:14-22 and read God's Word for yourself.

After mentioning the words of Jesus, that because He knows their deeds and that they are neither hot nor cold he is going to spit (or vomit) them out of His mouth, we are reminded that this rebuke is because Jesus says I LOVE YOU.

I won't preach the whole passage now - but you really should read it.

After mentioning to this lukewarm church about how they make Jesus sick we read these lines...
verse 17 You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 21 To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

Even when I make Christ sick with my "lukewarm" living - He still loves me. I know this through and through, but as I considered the aspects of my life that are lukewarm and was convicted that He deserves so much more (and hotter) from my life - again I hear the reassuring words of God's love to me.

Today, if you are truly saved by trusting alone in Christ as your Savior, and have proof of your salvation seen in a life change and words and deeds to reflect what He has done for you,... and if you know you are lukewarm (perhaps in personal out-loud hot evangelism - or on fire holy living seeking only His glory in all things)... and if you feel conviction for it - know this - God's conviction, even rebuke, is a call from a Loving God who is calling you back to higher and "hotter" living.

Receive the loving call of Christ to return to being "fired up" for Him.

Let's live on fire for Christ today.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment