Sunday, July 12, 2009

Have a Blessed Sunday - take up thy cross and follow

Consider these words by Alfred Ackly (1887-1960)

From our Songbook #978
I walked one day along a country road


1. I walked one day along a country road,
And there a stranger journeyed too;
Bent low beneath the burden of his load;
It was a cross, a cross I knew.

Take up thy cross and follow me,
I hear the blessed Saviour call;
How can I make a lesser sacrifice
When Jesus gave his all?


2. I cried: Lord Jesus! and he spoke my name;
I saw his hands all bruised and torn;
I stooped to kiss away the marks of shame,
The shame for me that he had borne.

3. O let me bear thy cross dear Lord, I cried,
And lo, a cross for me appeared;
The one, forgotten, I had cast aside,
The one so long that I had feared.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment