Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I should have runned away from my brain - overcoming temptation

"I should have runned away from my brain"

Quite the comment right? These are the profound words of my 6 year old right before the good spanking for disobeying (a repeat offense I might add).

The first time she expressed the concept of temptation she said "her head told her to do it" and she said, "no, I'll get in trouble". She told me this conversation went back and forth about 3 times (word for word) and then... "I did it".

We discussed the greater biblical concepts of taking your thoughts captive, running away from sin, that you will always get caught eventually, and the inevitability of consequences (not with all those big words of course - but she got the point).

After that first time, following discussing, and punishment there was sorrow, forgiveness, and restoration.

Just a couple days ago she did the same thing again and as I pulled her aside for "the talk" (the kind she knows comes before a spanking) and she started off with with that great phrase, "I should have runned away from my brain".

Wow... out of the mouth of babes, so easy an adult could get it.

Here are two verses for you to recall the next time you need to tell the devil to flee - or to run away from "your brain".

1 Corinthians 10:12-13 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

James 1:13-15 When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

For your own good and the glory of God - don't forget to "runned away from your brain" if you need to today.

Live holy, preach Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment